Find delicious recipes and learn why eating yoghurt is beneficial to your health!
1. Yogurt is easier to digest than milk.
2. Yogurt contributes to colon health.
3. Yogurt improves the bioavailability of other nutrients.
4. Yogurt can boost immunity.
NUTRITIP: Yogurt - Good for Young and Old
Yogurt is a valuable health food for both infants and elderly persons. For children, it is a balanced source of protein, fats, carbohydrates, and minerals in a texture that kids love. For senior citizens, who usually have more sensitive colons or whose intestines have run out of lactase, yogurt is also a valuable food. Elderly intestines showed declining levels of bifidus bacteria, which allow the growth of toxin-producing and, perhaps, cancer-causing bacteria.
5. Yogurt aids healing after intestinal infections.
NUTRITIP: A Chaser for Antibiotics
Antibiotics kill not only harmful bacteria; they also kill the healthy ones in the intestines. The live bacterial cultures in yogurt can help replenish the intestines with helpful bacteria before the harmful ones take over. I usually "prescribe" a daily dose of yogurt while a person is taking antibiotics and for two weeks thereafter.
6. Yogurt can decrease yeast infections.
7. Yogurt is a rich source of calcium.
8. Yogurt is an excellent source of protein.
9. Yogurt can lower cholesterol.
10. Yogurt is a "grow food." Two nutritional properties of yogurt may help children with intestinal absorption problems grow: the easier digestibility of the proteins and the fact that the lactic acid in yogurt increases the absorption of minerals. And even most picky-eaters will eat yogurt in dips and smoothies and as a topping.